I am sharing this, because it was something that made me smile on Monday and I keep thinking about it. Sometimes, your hobby is just something fun, (a passion if you will,) but sometimes (often?) it will cost you in some way or another.
Shared with me by a car enthusiast (who truly gets the credit, but he doesn’t want his name published). After telling this colleague that we were going Go Karting… he responded something like this:
- “If you go to a go kart party, you become interested in motorized vehicles.
- If you become interested in motorized vehicles, you’ll one day buy an old sports car.
- If you one day buy an old sports car, you become entrenched in the classic car hobby.
- If you become entrenched in the classic car hobby, you spend lots of money on cars and tools.
- If you spend lots of money on cars and tools, you need to buy or rent places to store them.
- If you buy or rent places, you have to earn a lot of money, consistently.
- If you need a consistent income, you will take on work no matter what.
- If you take on work no matter what, you may do work you don’t like – just for a paycheck.
- Don’t go to go kart parties…..go to school, get a good job, learn alot, then open your own business and be sure to earn enough to help support mom and dad!”
…So they can then buy that sports car they always wanted and probably take your kid Go Karting while on summer vacation in a resort town.
And that my friends will be just one of the many things they like to do with their grandkids… not a hobby, but definitely a passion – for family, making kids smile and having fun. I am not ready yet… but I will definitely be happy when I am.
~ Dawn aka Hat Girl