It is always good to follow up and check in on people you know.
- New mom / dad.
- When something bad is happening.
- Someone who just got out of the hospital.
- A friend who is living in a new home (city/apartment/dorm).
- Parents who have a kid of theirs just off to college. (Even if it is “again”.)
- Or, even, they have a kid home from college and it is “temporary” for the semester break, or the new grad coming back to save money.
- Someone who has a new job.
- In the event they have had a really bad day, week, month…or year.
No matter what you think.
- “Oh, they’re ok.”
- “I don’t want to be a bother.”
- “They don’t want to hear from me…”
- “I will reach out next week.”
- “I think they are away.”
- “I think they just got back.”
- “I have not spoken to them in ages.”
- “The last time I talked to them they were annoyed with me.”
- “Will they even remember me?”
Just go with your gut.
- Send a text.
- Send an e-mail.
- Make a call.
- Stop by.
- Don’t give up.
- Don’t stop until you connect.
It is always the right thing to do. Follow up and check in. They will definitely appreciate knowing that you care.
~ Dawn aka Hat Girl